Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tomatoes in pyjamas

We've all heard of Bananas in Pyjamas, but I have Tomatoes in Pyjamas!

There's very little topsoil in my garden, so veggies must be grown in containers. I planted these four tomatoes a couple of weeks ago - 2 Romas, and 2 bush Cherry. We can get frosts here almost up to Christmas, so they need to be protected at night. Easy enough when they were tiny, but now that I've staked them, it's a bit more problematic.



So I cut up an old doona cover (3$ at the op shop) and made individual bags to put over them on frosty nights.
Voila - tomatoes in pyjamas!
They look kinda spooky, don't they? Just imagine them on a moonlit night...
The strawberries planted in old tyres are flourishing, lots of flowers already.
I planted rhubarb, silver beet and sugar peas in the styrene boxes.

Really, this is more of a fruit garden if you think about it - tomatoes, strawberries, rhubarb...

Something has been munching on the lower leaves of the sugar peas, so the other day I mixed up some Nicotine Tea (cigarette butts soaked in water - eww!). It makes a nasty-looking brown brew, which I poured around the peas, and on the lower leaves - hopefully that will fix the problem!

2 comments:

  1. How's it going with the tobacco tea? You wanna be careful with that stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE