Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pretty little things

I promised to show you what I've been making lately, so here goes...


I've been making brooches, quite a lot of brooches actually, it's a bit addictive.
These are all 2 1/2" x 2", hand embroidered  to my own designs. I think this little tree is my favourite so far.




 This one's pink lace over taffeta, with a sprinkle of beads, so pretty.



Another little tree, worked on tan linen.


Puffy little roses, on green linen


back view


not so sure about this one...


OK, this is brooch number 6. I'm having lots of fun, and plenty of ideas for more brooches. But clearly I'm going to have to stop, or start selling them...
Most people who sell brooches mount them on a piece of card, like this. But maybe I can do a little better than that, hmm?


 So I spent an entire whole day  designing a small origami box. A square box is easy, an oblong one is more of a challenge! But I finally got it right -


Now we just need a label on the back.

 Compared to making a quilt or a crochet rug, which takes weeks, these little brooches are almost instant gratification. I can embroider and assemble one in a day (the assembly and making the box takes nearly as long as the embroidery).

These have gone to the gift shop at Buda Historic Home and Garden.

I've made several more since these pictures were taken, though I guess I'll run out of steam eventually - I usually do with these things...
I'm learning as I go - how to make the backs neater, and what fabrics work best. I like to use recycled fabrics if I can, and I'm having fun doodling new designs.

Now I'm thinking of opening an Etsy shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE