Sunday, January 1, 2012

A new year

A bright new year begins, I hope it's a happy and peaceful one for all!

New Year's Day is a time to think about the year ahead, make a few plans, set a few goals. It's usually the day when I go through the new calendar and fill in all the birthdays and special anniversaries. But I haven't bought a calendar yet, so that will have to wait.

I don't really do New year resolutions, believing they are doomed to failure, but I found this idea on Clover Lane and it's pretty tempting. It's called 40 Bags in 40 Days.

 The idea is that, one day at a time, you rid your house of 40 bags of stuff...things you don't love, don't use, junk, accumulated stuff, clutter, garbage.

Originating on one of the many Catholic Mommy blogs, it began as  Lenten challenge (40 days in Lent) but you can do it any time of the year - and take as many days as you need to declutter your home.

The important things is to keep the momentum going - clean out one area/room/cupboard EVERY DAY until you're done.

I'm reminded of the quote from William Morris: "Have nothing is your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."


You need a plan - make a list of all the places you want to clean out, and then each day you fill one bag or box with stuff you don't need or want - toys, clothes, papers – anything, a box of books, an old TV. Anything that you can count as clutter is fair game.

If you Google "40 bags in 40 days", you'll find lots of bloggers who took up the challenge, and posted pictures of terrifyingly neat wardrobes, cupboards, drawers and bookshelves. If you're interested in pursuing the idea, Sarah on Clover Lane has some helpful suggestions.

Now those of you who know me may be aware that my house would benefit from some decluttering. I'm the original packrat, and can't bear to throw out anything that might possible be useful - one day.
I won't embarrass myself by showing pictures of my sewing room, but even apart from the explosion of fabric and "stuff" in there, there's plenty of scope for decluttering in the rest of the house - I could spend a week on the kitchen alone!

But the idea of taking it one bag/day at a time appeals to me. Maybe I could do that.

And if, like so many resolutions Good Ideas, I run out of steam, at least a few areas of the house would be tidier - I can't lose, can I?
Better make a list. Now let me see -
  • pantry
  • sink cupboard
  • saucepan cupboard
  • baking cupboard
  • overhead cabinets
  • kitchen drawers
I may possibly need a skip....


2 comments:

  1. have a spare calendar if you want it - large format - 20th century Oz artists.
    See you next Saturday ??
    and HNY 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. At least I know where I got it from...

    ReplyDelete

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE