Thursday, November 24, 2011

Homemade pizza

Yesterday I tried a new recipe, for The Easiest Pizza in the World, found at Everybody like Sandwiches.  A no-rise, no knead dough? I didn't think it would work, but to my amazement, and the delight of the Resident Grandson, it worked a treat!  Here's the recipe
the easiest pizza dough in the world
1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 c warm water
2 1/2 c flour
1 t honey
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
2 T fresh rosemary, chopped (optional)
cornmeal
Preheat oven to 210C. In a large bowl, add in the yeast and warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves. Add the flour, salt, honey, rosemary (if using), and olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon vigorously until combined. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle cornmeal onto a walled baking sheet and press dough into it until thin. Add toppings of your choice and bake for 20-25 minutes until pizza crust is golden and cheese is bubbly.

Notes
I followed the recipe pretty much as written, but  left out the rosemary. I didn't have cornmeal, so just floured an ordinary baking tray and pressed (well actually, rolled) the dough out to cover it. Next time I'll divide the dough in half and make 2 smaller pizzas.
I used bread flour - cos I had some - and would again.

This is the yeast I used - it keeps for ages in the fridge. That's a lot of yeast for the amount of flour, but there was no yeasty taste. And it was cooked all the way through, the bottom was lightly browned, and it didn't stick to the tray.

It made a very large pizza (leftovers tonight) but it was delicious! Will definitely be doing this again!

 I used the toppings requested by TRG, and they were expensive - Leggo's pizza sauce, red onion, some capsicum, hot salami, and Mozzarella cheese. But I could make a much cheaper version, I'm sure.
Next time I'll add the honey and oil to the liquid, and then stir in the flour, sifted with the salt.
The dough was a bit sticky when mixed, I had to work in a bit of extra flour. And I did knead it, just a little...

Now I'm wondering, what else could I do with this dough? Top it with bacon, pineapple and cheese, maybe?
And if I baked it without any topping, and maybe left it a trifle thicker, would I have Turkish bread? Then I could make some Anybean Hummus! (see below)

Or, what if I rolled the dough out, spread it with say, pesto, rolled it into a sausage, and sliced it - pesto rolls?
And then there are sweet possibilities - cinnamon scrolls, perhaps? If you experiment with this, let me know!

This handy little idea comes from Grill a Chef, the blog of chef Joshua Stokes

Anybean Hummus
1 can of beans
1 splash of an acid (citrus or vinegar)
a handful of nuts
some salt
some pepper
a pinch of a spice or an herb
a glug of oil

Spin the ingredients you have chosen in a food processor until smooth. Taste. Adjust. Taste again. Adjust until satisfied. Serve as you would any other hummus that you have purchased at the market... but would not feel as rewarded eating.

Oh, and if you like recipe-surfing, try this - Food Gawker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE