Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flower garden

I love to crochet - it's faster than knitting, you get to play with lots of pretty colours, and you end up with something useful and beautiful. Here's a glimpse of my latest work-in-progress, a flowery afghan. It's based on a Granny Square variation by Lucy of Attic24, but I've tweaked it a bit.

 First you make some little circles.
 They become bigger circles.
 Then you turn them into squares.
 After you've darned in all the ends (my least favourite part of the exercise) you block the squares, so the finished rug will lie nice and flat. 
Blocking means you pin them out flat, spray with water, and leave them to dry
 Then you sew them all together...

I calculate I'll need 165 squares altogether; I've made 120 so far.
Don't know what I'll do with it yet, I hope to finish it by Christmas.

I can write up the pattern, if anyone's interested...

4 comments:

  1. Me Marcie, I would like to know how to do this? They are gorgeous. And not too big. Can you write out the pattern... ? I have wool everywhere but wouldn't be able to start till after Christmas so there's no hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked pretty spiffy on Saturday Ms MC ... perhaps I should finish the African Flowers before I get sucked in to another obsessive project LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Catsmum - I showed you mine, when are you going to show us YOURS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Barb - the squares finish at about 3", so you need lots! I'll write a pattern for you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE