Monday, December 19, 2011

My father

Now that I've finshed the story of my Irish ancestors, it's time to explore my German heritage.
Before we look at the history of the Niewand family, I'd like you to meet my Dad.

John Frederick Niewand was born at Willaura in Victoria on November 16th, 1906.
He died at Castlemaine on September 16th, 1962.

He was the grandson of German immigrants who came to Australia in the early 1850s, eventually settling at Minyip, Victoria.

Dad was a devoted husband and father, who  showed his love by working hard all his life to give us everything he could.


A quiet and unassuming man, he had no enemies, and many friends. When he died, my mother, my sister and I were surprised at just how many people came to pay their last respects, and in some cases to speak of some small kindness he'd done them.

Always a farmer at heart, he had built up a successful poultry farm and hatchery at Barkers Creek, but the last few years of his life were spent as a shopkeeper in Castlemaine.

Dad loved his chooks, and also enjoyed woodwork; wherever we lived he built something - poultry sheds, a new kitchen for Mum, small items of furniture. He treasured an old carpentry book - and his tools (woe betide the child who left a paintbrush uncleaned) and once told me that if he'd had the choice, he would have liked to be a cabinet-maker.

For as long as he lived, I knew that I was truly loved; no matter what I did, or what mistakes I made, I could always be sure of his love and support.  And he taught me to waltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE