Sunday, September 25, 2011

An attitude of gratitude

Some years ago I read about a practice that appealed to me, and I have used it ever since. It's called 'an attitude of gratitude' and it goes like this - every night when you go to bed and settle down for sleep, think about three things you are grateful for.

Not too hard, if you are well fed, snuggled down in a warm bed, with a secure roof over your head. But you need to dig a bit deeper than that. Think about the day now ending - what can you be grateful for? 
Last night, I remembered my trip to the supermarket, where I chose from a huge array of delicious food - fruit and vegetables, a dozen varieties of bread and milk, and every kind of food you could think of. I am grateful for the riches we have in this country! 

I had visited my sister, too, and admired the progress of her pretty new garden. I came away with a bunch of delicious smelling jasmine.
I am grateful that my sister lives just a few minutes away, and that we are such good friends.

In the afternoon, I sat in the sun and finished reading a novel, borrowed from the library. Light and pleasant reading, but the author had worked hard to research and write it, and I am grateful for all of my favorite writers, who have given me so many hours of pleasure.

I'm grateful for my local library too, with so many wonderful books to choose from.
See, it's not hard, is it? And even if you've had a pretty awful day, once you have the habit, there is always something to be grateful for.
What will you be grateful for tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Google member? Just type your comment in the big box, then under SELECT PROFILE choose NAME/URL.. Enter your name, ignore the URL box, click CONTINUE